Barrancos was held by the Romans, The Westgotes and the Moors – and it became 1167 part of Portugal. Barrancos was upgraded in 1200 and was then part of Noudar County Seat. The city has flourished as a market town – and since the opening of the Interoson between Portugal and Spain, it has become a mini-organization of the United Nations. The bustling main street is flanked by shops and cafes. People in these parts speak Portuguese and Spanish – everyone gets along and gets along. Barrancos` local cured ham has its own appellation of origin (PGI) and stands out. Indeed, many restaurants will offer a plate of the famous ham of the region or presunto with a glass of red wine. In the tradition of Barrancos, you can also taste the Aorda (bread stew). Or try barrancos migas (roasted migas) with a rich local wheat bread.
With regard to Ciudad Rodrigo, Almeida is from the beginning the main anchor of the definition of the borders of the Portuguese state, which has the border with the oldest borders and the peace treaty still in force – the Treaty of Alcanizes, 1297, which is therefore directly associated with the idea of national identity of Portugal. From the mouth of the Minho River in the north to the mouth of the Guadiana River in the south, part of the present-day Portuguese-Spanish border extends from the former county of Portugal. From the Treaty of Zamora (1143), which characterizes the birth of Portugal, to the “Reconquista” episode, which culminated in the Treaty of Badajoz (1267), which attributed the Algarve to Portugal, and the Treaty of Alcanizes (1297), a demarcation line has been introduced, rarely revised in more than 700 years. While some bypass the town of Vila Real de Santo Antonio in the Algarve, they lack a real treat. Think of it as a little Lisbon – here`s why… Between Spain, Castro Marim, Tavira and the Atlantic Ocean, it is a new city in the chronology of Portuguese history. Moreover, and again under the government of D. Manuel II, a demarcation line between Portugal and Spain was physically demarcated by milestones. The Spanish-Portuguese border extends from the lower Minho River to the north of the mouth of the Guadiana River and ends 1214 km further down the Atlantic Ocean. It is one of the oldest borders in Europe.
The current delimitation, called “La Raya” in Spanish and “A Raia” in Portuguese, is almost identical to that defined in 1297 by the Treaty of Acaéices. The Portuguese-Spanish border is called “The Stripe” (Galician: A Raia, Portuguese: A Raia, Mirandese: La Raia, Spanish: La Raya). It is one of the oldest borders in the world. The current delimitation is almost identical to that defined in 1297 by the Treaty of Alcaices. The border between Portugal and Spain is 1,232 km long and is considered the longest unbroken border within the European Union.  Thanks to the intelligent integration of wall buildings that enlarge the medieval fortress perched atop a part of quartz, Marvéo is a striking testimony to the human creative genius who, through the symbiosis between culture and nature, creates a dazzling landscape, in the heart of the Serra de S. Mamede nature park. The fortress of Valena, because of its position on the banks of the river, its size and its shape, with two polygonal enclosures (Coroada and Magistral), is an exceptional example of a fortification of the rampart adapted to the topography of the site and the integration of the existing urban network.